New Westminster – On September 1st, 2019, at approximately 6:40am, New Westminster Police Department patrol officers responded to a report of a robbery that had occurred at a restaurant located in the 800 block of Carnarvon Street, New Westminster.
It was reported that a suspect had allegedly entered into the establishment and demanded money from the staff prior to fleeing. After a short chase by witnesses, the suspect fled the area, but was eventually arrested in Vancouver by the Vancouver Police Department.
Once in custody in Vancouver, the suspect was transferred to the custody of the New Westminster Police. The suspect was identified as 22 year Joshua Mathias of Vancouver, BC who has since been charged with the following offences:
- Robbery – section 344 of the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Robbery – section 344(1)(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Disguising face with intent to commit offence – section 351(2) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Two counts of committing an assault while using a weapon – section 267(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Forcible confinement – section 279(2)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Theft of motor vehicle – section 333.1(1)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada; and,
- Escape lawful custody – section 145(1)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada
“Robberies have an element of violence and can be dangerous for the public, and in this case there were many different factors that investigators had to consider,” stated Sergeant Jeff Scott. “The efforts of our investigators, in collaboration with the Vancouver Police, led to the successful arrest of Mr. Mathias, who will be appearing before the courts for these offences.”
This case is now before the courts.