The New Westminster Police Department is a public body whose actions regarding personal information are governed by the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA). FOIPPA is designed to make public bodies more accountable by preventing the unauthorized collection, use and disclosure of personal information for which they are responsible for.
FOIPPA provides that personal information may not be collected by or for a public body unless:
- the collection of that information is expressly authorized by or under an Act;
- that information is collected for the purposes of law enforcement, or;
- that information relates directly to, and is necessary for, an operating program or activity of the public body.
Freedom of Information Request Guidelines
Under FOIPPA, for a member of the public to obtain access to records held by the NWPD, the applicant must make their request in writing that meets the following requirements:
- provides sufficient detail to enable an NWPD employee, with a reasonable effort, to identify the records sought;
- provides government issued photo identifications when requesting information on themselves;
- provides written proof of authority of the applicant to make the request, if the applicant is acting on behalf of another person in accordance with the regulations, and;
- is submitted to the public body that the applicant believes has custody or control of the record.
As a public body, the NWPD must respond within 30 working days to a valid request unless an extension is granted due to the number of records requested, the regular time limit is not sufficient to locate files, or the public body must consult with third parties before the access can be given.
Payment of $10.00 per request is required at the time of making the request for requests that seek general information. Requests for your own personal information are free of charge.
FOIPPA provides strict guidelines for withholding information. Information about third parties must be withheld under the Act, as well as we may withhold information that could harm a law enforcement matter or information we have received from another government agency. The Act contains other exceptions that are considered depending on the nature of the request. Download the Freedom of Information Request Form below:
Freedom of Information Request Form
Please note this document has been designed to be printed on legal size paper. Completed forms with the supporting paperwork can be delivered to the address below or send by email to email@example.com. Fax is an additional option for the delivery of requests.
Contact the New Westminster Police Department
FOI Unit – New Westminster Police Department
555 Columbia Street
New Westminster, BC V3L 1B2
FOIPPA provides a means for independent review of NWPD decisions made under the Act by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC). If an applicant is not fully provided with the full contents of the file they have requested, they may make a written request to the Commissioner’s Office for review.
Contact the Commissioner for British Columbia
Office of the Information and Privacy
Commissioner for British Columbia
PO Box 9038, Stn. Prov. Govt.
Victoria, BC V8W 9A4
4th Floor, 947 Fort Street, Victoria BC V8V 3K3