Non-Emergency 604-525-5411

Emergency 9-1-1

Online Reporting and Non-Emergency Line FAQs

Why report my incident online?

Online reporting is a convenient reporting option for select minor property, financial and driving offences  (ie. theft/fraud/property damage under $5,000, ) that can provide you with a copy of the police report and a police file number for incidents where there is no evidence available for the police to investigate. We encourage everyone to report all crimes as it will allows police to better allocate our resources.

Online reporting is not meant to replace other forms of crime reporting; if you are not comfortable reporting an incident online, you can still attend the police station, or call the non-emergency line at 604-525-5411.


What types of crimes can I report online?

You can report minor theft/fraud/property damage crimes or driving offences where there is no suspect information and no evidence. Here is the list of incidents that can be submitted online:

  • You have a community complaint relating to a minor non-violent crime where you have no information about the suspect.
  • You know of an area where there are frequent driving offences.
  • You have damage to your property and/or vehicle under $5,000, including graffiti.
  • You lost something.
  • Your property valued under $5,000 was stolen.
  • You are the victim of fraud under $5,000.
  • Your bike was stolen.
  • Your property was stolen from your vehicle.
  • Your car has been in a hit and run accident where you have not information about the suspect.


When should you call the non-emergency line instead?

Some incidents require a police officer to be dispatched to the crime scene to conduct an investigation; others require interaction with a police officer over the phone or at a police station.

If your incident meets any of the following criteria, please contact us at 604-525-5411. We acknowledge the wait on the non-emergency line can be several hours sometimes.

  • You require police attendance or a lengthy on-scene investigation.
  • You are a victim or witness to an incident involving personal violence, including Domestic/Intimate Partner Violence or Sexual Assault.
  • If you have a known suspect. If you know the name or address of the suspect, or if you know the license plate of the vehicle associated to the suspect.
  • If the value of theft, fraud, loss or property damage is more than $5,000.
  • If your vehicle has been stolen.
  • If someone broke into, or attempted to break into your home, garage or business.
  • If this is the theft or loss of a firearm.
  • If this is related to any kind hate motivated crime, including vandalism or graffiti.
  • If this is related to a traffic complaint that is in progress.
  • If you are in possession of any evidence.


What if there is a long wait time on the non-emergency line, can I use online reporting?

Only if it meets the criteria for minor offences that can be submitted online as stated above.

We recognize that recently some people have experienced significant wait times when they call the non-emergency line during certain times of the day. We are working with our partners to try to correct this issue. If you experience a long wait time when you call the non-emergency line, please try calling back at a another time, typically times outside of normal business hours have lower wait times.

Altering information in an online report to bypass the pre-screening questions, will only result in a further delay in having police respond to your complaint.


What is considered evidence?

Evidence includes any item(s) that the suspect brought to the scene and left behind, video recordings of the suspect, witness observations and digital evidence such as text messages and social media messages. This evidence may help the police in identifying the suspect. If there is evidence, do not file a report online. Attend the police station or call the non-emergency line at 604-525-5411.


What happens after I submit my online report?

Upon submitting your completed report online, you will see the words “Your online police report has been submitted” indicating your report is complete.

You will receive an email with a temporary case number until police have reviewed the report. Check your junk email folder if you do not receive the email in your inbox.

All reports filed using the New Westminster Police Department’s Online Reporting System will be reviewed within 2 – 5 business days. You will then receive the official police file number, only the official file number can be used for insurance purposes.

You may be contacted if your case requires further investigation.