Non-Emergency 604-525-5411

Emergency 9-1-1

New Westminster Police Department Investigates Possible Shooting

New Westminster – On July 22nd, 2019 at approximately 4:40pm, the New Westminster Police responded to the area of 9th Street and St. Andrews Street for a report of a possible shooting. When officers arrived, several people were located; however, no one with any obvious injuries.

The New Westminster Police Department Major Crime Unit and Forensic Identification Section have since taken conduct of the investigation.

“Investigators are speaking with witnesses and other parties who may be involved. Thankfully, no one was injured as a result of this alleged shooting,” stated Sergeant Jeff Scott. “Because we are still in the early stages of the investigation, detectives are working hard to determine what exactly happened.”

Anyone with information or video footage is asked to call the New Westminster Police Department Major Crime Unit at 604-525-5411, quoting file number 2019-13117.


Two men have been arrested by the New Westminster Police Department following an investigation into a report of shots being fired that occurred on July 22, 2019. There were no reported injuries as a result of the incident, which occurred between 9th Street and St. Andrews Street in New Westminster. The NWPD Major Crime Unit assumed conduct of the investigation. The Major Crime Unit, along with the assistance of other investigative units within the NWPD, the Burnaby RCMP and the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team, made two arrests late last week.

Ahmed Tahir, an 18 year old resident from New Westminster, and Matin Ghulam a 23 year old resident from New Westminster have each been charged with the following offences:

– Section 239(1)(a) CCC Attempt to Commit Murder

– Section 244(2)(a) CCC Discharging a Firearm with Intent

– Section 95(1) CCC Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition.

“This was a great example of units within the NWPD working together with our partner agencies to ensure the safety of the public, culminating in the arrest of two individuals,” stated Acting Chief Constable David Jansen.

The Major Crime Unit is continuing to investigate this incident.