New Years Eve can be one of the most fun holidays of the year. Please make sure you take the proper precautions to ensure your own safety as well as the safety of those around you.
- Monitor your alcohol intake. Alternate alcohol with water or other non-alcoholic options, pace yourself, eat lots of snacks, and don’t leave your beverage unattended.
- Take the keys if you have a friend who is too drunk to get behind the wheel. Help your friend with a ride home.
- Be careful with what you’re sharing on social media on NYE.
- Do not serve minors alcohol.
- Check the weather forecast and dress appropriately, if you plan to attend an outdoor public event.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially amid large crowds. Take note of emergency exits and staircases, and any fire extinguishers or safety equipment in buildings or public venues such as hotels or nightclubs.
- Plan ahead for a safe ride home. Consider public transit or a designated driver. Check the schedules of public transit beforehand to ensure you are not stranded.
- Celebrate with your friends and look out for one another. If you’re going to a party or heading to a public event, make plans to arrive and leave with a group.
The New Westminster Police Department wishes you a safe and happy New Year!