New Westminster – On October 15th 2016 at approximately 5:00pm, the New Westminster Police Department was called to the 300 block of 12th Street to assist the British Columbia Ambulance Service with a male victim who sustained several injuries during an altercation. The adult male victim was held against his will for several hours before the suspects fled the area. The male was rushed to hospital where he remained in the care of medical staff for several days.
The New Westminster Police Major Crime Unit conducted an extensive investigation, which led detectives to arrest two adult males, Ahmed Al-lami of Burnaby, and Sohrab Tajfirouzeh of West Vancouver.
Mr. Al-lami and Mr. Tajfirouzeh have since been charged with the following offences:
- Aggravated Assault, section 268(2) of the Criminal Code;
- Robbery, section 344(1) of the Criminal Code;
- Forcible Confinement, section 279(2) of the Criminal Code;
- Extortion, section 346(1.1)(b) of the Criminal Code; and,
- Uttering Threats, section 264.1(1) of the Criminal Code.
“The male victim sustained several serious, but non-life threatening injuries from this targeted offence,” stated Media Relations Officer Acting Sergeant Jeff Scott. “We strive to enhance the safety of everyone in our city, and we’re thankful for the quick apprehension of these two suspects.”
Mr. Al-lami and Mr. Tajfirouzeh were both remanded in custody.