New Westminster – On October 31, 2014, at 6:55 pm, NWPD members observed a vehicle driving erratically through the Queens Park area of New Westminster. This was of particular concern to police given the number of children and families walking the streets trick-or-treating at the time.
Initial attempts to stop the vehicle were unsuccessful; however it was located a short distance away unoccupied. Members of the NWPD Operational Support Unit arrested a male suspect later in the evening and their ongoing investigation has resulted in the following charges against Joonhee Hee Cho, a 31 year old New Westminster resident:
1) Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle under Section 249(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
2) Fail to Remain at the Scene of an Accident under Section 252(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
3) Obstructing a Peace Officer under Section 129(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
4) Failing to Stop a Motor Vehicle under Section 73(1) of the Motor Vehicle Act; and
5) Operating a Motor Vehicle without a Drivers License under Section 24(1) of the Motor Vehicle Act.
“We are extremely thankful to the many members of the community that came forward to assist our investigators in this matter,” said Sergeant Chad Johnston. “We are pleased we were able to gather the necessary evidence to lay charges against this individual so he can be held accountable for his actions.”