In March of 2013, an investigation was initiated into the actions of a New Westminster resident relating to the possession of child pornography.
The New Westminster Police Department Major Crimes Unit advanced the investigation to a point where a Report to Crown Counsel was submitted on July 10th, 2013, recommending criminal charges.
On August 16th, 2013, New Westminster Crown Counsel approved the following two charges against 50 year old Steven Roth of New Westminster:
- Importing, distributing, selling or possessing for the purposes of distribution or sale of child pornography contrary to Section 163.1 (3) of the Criminal Code
- Possessing child pornography contrary to section 163.1(4) of the Criminal Code
Mr. Roth was released from custody and is the subject of several conditions he must abide by including:
- To permit an officer of the New Westminster Police Department if they so request, entry into and throughout his residence to confirm that he has turned in all internet capable devices;
- Not to be in possession of any device with internet capabilities (he may use a desktop computer that has been assigned to him by his manager at work provided that the computer is hardwired to the network that is in service for the purpose of his work and supplied by his employer, and his employer is made aware first of all of the terms of this Bail Order, and is aware that he is restricted to the one computer. He is to use that computer solely to fulfill his employment duties. If he is using the computer for work purposes, he is to authorize in writing his employer to allow the police to check on his use. He is not to have any administrator privileges which would allow him to connect to the internet in any other way than the method assigned by his employer)
- Not to access the internet by any means, in any location, whether public or private, including wireless handheld devices such as blackberries or web enabled cellular phones, or other access that may be provided by public libraries, internet cafes and the like;
- Not to have any contact with children under the age of 16 years;
- Not to attend at any location where children under the age of 16 years frequent or are reasonably expected to be, including parks, playgrounds, swimming pools, elementary schools, and libraries.
The New Westminster Police Department is unable to and will not comment further as this matter is before the courts.
Mr. Roth’s next appearance is Wednesday, August 28th 2013.