Non-Emergency 604-525-5411

Emergency 9-1-1

Armed Man Safely Taken into Custody

On Saturday, August 10, 2013 at approximately 2:30 pm, New Westminster Police Department members were dispatched to an apartment on 9th Street. They had received a call that the male at the location was intoxicated and was suicidal. The caller identified himself as a friend of the male in question and also disclosed that loaded firearms were inside his friend’s apartment.

Containment on the apartment was quickly arranged, utilizing all on-duty patrol members. Included in the officers’ containment plan was a ballistic shield as well as a variety of “less-lethal” options.

As containment was being finalized, the apartment door swung open and the male in question stepped into the corridor. He appeared to be highly agitated and at one point lifted the front of his shirt, partially revealing a handgun tucked into in the waistband of his trousers.

The male continued yelling and swearing at the officers and then appeared to be reaching for the handgun. As he pulled his hands away, several less-lethal bean-bag rounds were deployed and the male fell to the ground on his stomach. The ballistic shield was used to approach the male and he was taken into custody.

During a search of the male, the handgun in the waistband was found to be fully loaded.
As addition, several other firearms were found in his apartment following the execution of a search warrant.

“The main story here is the extreme level of calm and professionalism that was exhibited by each of the police officers present in dealing with this extremely volatile situation,” said Chief Constable Dave Jones. “The actions of each one of the officers present no doubt saved the life of this male, who presented a deadly threat due to his erratic and threatening behaviour.”

Brian GRAFF, 47, has been charged with one count of “Careless use of a firearm” contrary to Section 86(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada and one count of “Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose” contrary to section 88(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

He has been remanded in custody and will be appearing again later in the month.