The New Westminster Police are proud to announce that seven of our officers were selected as part of Alexa’s Team for 2012.
At the young age of 4½, Alexa Middelaer tragically lost her life in May of 2008 after she and her aunt were run down by an impaired driver. Despite this devastating loss, Alexa’s parents Laurel and Michael, remained steadfast in their determination to keep Alexa’s memory alive and hopefully spare another family a similar loss.
Created in 2009, Alexa’s Team is a partnership between the Middelaer family, the BCAA Road Safety Foundation and ICBC. The program recognizes both Municipal Police and RCMP officers across BC who have demonstrated a strong commitment to getting impaired drivers off our roads. Police Officers selected for Alexa’s Team for 2012 were required to have taken at least 12 criminally impaired drivers off the road through a Criminal Charge Investigation or the Immediate Roadside Prohibition (IRP) administrative process. This year, 228 officers from across BC, including 95 from the Lower Mainland were selected. The seven NWPD officers include:
- Constable Jamie Crowston – Traffic Safety Unit
- Constable Ted Ishii – Patrol
- Constable Jeff Scott – Traffic Safety Unit
- Constable Tomas Graham – Patrol
- Constable Stu Hagen – Patrol
- Constable Jaspaul Chung – Traffic Safety Unit
- Constable John MacDonald – Seconded to the BC Integrated Road Safety Unit