On March 5th, 2013 at approximately 1:15 PM, patrol members of the New Westminster Police Department located a stolen 1996 Honda Odyssey van parked in the unit block of Church Street, about half a block from the NWPD office.
Shortly after being located the van became mobile and was followed by the NWPD members. Fortunately no pursuit was required or initiated as the van made several quick turns after which the driver abandoned it and attempted to flee on foot. The male was taken into custody after a very short foot pursuit.
What is noteworthy about this incident is the fact that the arresting officers immediately recognized the male as he had just been released from NWPD cells minutes before. Further inquiries revealed that the male had attended the NWPD office earlier in the day to be fingerprinted for being in another stolen vehicle back on December 30th, 2012. The male was re‐booked into NWPD cells on the new charges and held for court.
Kevin James BILEY, a 22 year old Burnaby resident, appeared in New Westminster Provincial Court this morning and is now facing the following new charges:
1. Theft of a Motor Vehicle – Section 333.1(1) of the Criminal Code
2. Possession of Stolen Property under $5000 – Section 355 of the Criminal Code
3. Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle – Section 249(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
4. Drive while disqualified – Section 259(4) of the Criminal Code
5. Breach of Recognizance – Section 145(3) of the Criminal Code