Non-Emergency 604-525-5411

Emergency 9-1-1

Report a Crime

If this is an emergency, do not file a report online, but instead call 9-1-1 immediately. 

There are different types of complaints we can take through online reporting. Please use this system if one of the following has happened to you and you do not know who did it:

You have a community complaint where you have no information about the suspect.
You know of an area where there are frequent driving offences.
Your car was broken into, and your property was stolen.
You’d like to report graffiti.
You lost something.
Your property valued under $5,000 was damaged or destroyed.
Your property valued under $5,000 was stolen.
You are the victim of fraud under $5,000.
Your bike was stolen.
Your car has been in a hit and run accident where you have no information about the suspect.

Reporting online saves you time, and is a more efficient use of police resources. Reporting your crime takes approximately 15 minutes, and requires you to have a valid email address. After you have finished your online report you can expect to be issued a temporary file number as your file will be reviewed. If the crime you would like to report is not listed above please call 604-525-5411.

Click here to report a crime.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if online reporting is not for me?

If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If your incident is non-emergency please call our non-emergency number at 604-525-5411.

If my incident did not occur in New Westminster, but I live in New Westminster, can I use online reporting?

No. The incident must have occurred within New Westminster city limits for the New Westminster Police Department to take a report. Please contact the police for the city where the incident occurred.

I have a suspect, a description, or there is video surveillance. Can I file an online report?

No. If you have a suspect, there is a suspect description, or there is video surveillance then a police officer must be assigned to the file. Please call our report desk at 604-525-5411 to file your report.

The value lost or stolen is over $5,000. Can I use online reporting?

No. A police officer must be assigned to all files where the value lost or stolen exceeds $5,000.

My ID was stolen and I’m concerned about fraud. What can I do?

If you are concerned about fraud or identity theft you can contact either Equifax or Transunion. They are companies who deal with personal credit information.

My passport, citizenship documents, government assistance cheque, or prescription medication was lost or stolen. Can I use online reporting?

No. Any of those items must be reported in person to the front counter of the police department or called in to our front desk at 604-525-5411.

I already submitted a report online, but I haven’t heard anything back yet. Should I submit a new report?

No. If you have any questions regarding a submitted report please call our report desk at 604-525-5411. Please keep in mind that during peak times it could take as long as 3-5 business days for the report to be approved.

Can I give my temporary file number to ICBC or another insurance agency?

No. The temporary number is only assigned to the report before it is approved. After the report is approved you will receive the permanent police file number, and this is the number that should be given to any outside agency.

How do I report a lost or stolen vehicle or vehicle licence plate?

This report can not be taken using online reporting. Please call our report desk at 604-525-5411.

Can I add information to an existing police file?

Yes. If you already have a police file number you can add information to that report using the online reporting system. When you begin the online reporting process please choose Supplemental and not Original. You will need the police file number in order to add information to the report.