Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for volunteering with the New Westminster Police Department Victim Assistance Unit?
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Possess a valid class 5 BC Driver’s License
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant
- Must pass an interview process and security clearance
- Must take an Oath of Confidentiality
What are the qualifications for volunteering with the Victim Assistance Unit?
- Ability to work with all people in all circumstances
- Ability to be supportive but not intrusive
- Ability to use tact and good judgement
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to display professional behavior
- Ability to accept direction and supervision
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and an empathetic and non-judgmental
- Ability to remain calm and focused in stressful situations
- Must be mature and professional
- Must possess genuine regard for victims of crime and a sincere interest in assisting them
What is the initial training commitment?
Basic training (classroom training) is approximately 55 hours consisting of 6 full day Saturdays and 3 weekday evenings. You must be able to attend ALL training sessions. Tentative basic training dates are as follows:
How many hours do I need to commit in order to volunteer with the New Westminster Police Department Victim Assistance Unit?
Volunteers are required to commit 11 hours per month (two shifts). The shift calendar is posted a month and a half in advance. All volunteers sign up for their own shifts.
Volunteer shifts are:
Sunday to Thursday, 5:45 pm – 11:00 pm
Friday, 5:45 pm – 10:00 pm and 9:45 pm – 2:00 am
Saturday, 5:45 pm – 11:00pm
What is the dress code for volunteering with the New Westminster Police Department Victim Assistance Unit?
Volunteers must wear dark pants (no jeans) and dark, comfortable closed toe shoes. Other uniform items are provided. Wear only the supplied uniform and appropriate accessories that consider personal safety.
- Issued long and short sleeve golf shirts
- Issued VAU jacket and fleece jacket
- Issued nylon vest
- Dark solid colour dress slacks (black/dark blue)
- Black flat close-toed shoes, or running shoes
How can I get an application form?
You can access an application form on the New Westminster Police website here, or pick up an application package at the New Westminster Police station at 555 Columbia Street New Westminster, BC V3L 1B2.
Do I still have to undergo security clearances and police verifications if I have completed and passed this process with another police agency?
Yes, you must undergo the security clearance and police verification process required by the New Westminster Police Department.
How many references do I need?
Ten references in total, five of which should be managers, supervisors, or instructors.