With Halloween fast approaching, we’d like to share with residents safety tips from the New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services.
Please take the following precautions to ensure this year will be safe and fun filled for all.
Tips for Parents:
- Children trick-or-treating should stay on the sidewalk or path when walking from house to house.
- Children should wear flame retardant costumes.
- Costumes should be light in colour or have reflective tape.
- Costumes should not be too long and present a tripping hazard.
- Check all candy before your children enjoy them.
- Be sure to blow out candles when leaving them unattended.
- If you notice anything suspicious, call your local law enforcement agency immediately. In New Westminster, dial 9-1-1 for emergencies or crimes in progress and 604-525-5411 for non-emergencies.
- All road users should move slowly when in residential neighborhoods and carefully watch for children in the street.
Tips for Children:
- Take a flashlight with fresh batteries.
- It is best to trick-or-treat in groups or with an adult.
- Go to familiar houses that have their porch light on.
- Never enter a house unless you are with an adult or you know the people.
- It is not safe to cross the roadway from between parked cars or other obstacles. It is much safer to cross at intersections, crosswalks, or street corners.
- Don’t eat candy until your parents have checked them.
Tips for Business and Home Owners:
- Practice good housekeeping by removing all flammable and combustible waste around your property.
- Empty or secure all dumpsters.
- Wet down contents of dumpsters.
- If you notice suspicious activity call 9-1-1.
Crews from New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services are currently conducting risk assessments of their response areas in preparation for Halloween. On Halloween night, crews will be conducting regular scheduled patrols of their response areas and offer tips to keep trick-or-treaters and their escorts safe during this year’s Halloween.
For further information, residents are asked to contact the New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services at 604-519-1000.